Patrick Shepherd | Multimedia Producer
www.ElephantSong.net | PatrickdShepherd@gmail.com
+254 798 569 472 (KENYA) | +44 (0) 7423 194 295 (UK/WhatsApp)
A robust and resourceful Multimedia & Communications Manager with 8 years’ experience in video journalism, television production and storytelling. Accomplished technical skills and capability to envision and produce compelling stories with strong characters and action footage overlaid with informative motion graphics. Delivers within stipulated time frame and budget in complex and challenging environments. Strong appetite for learning and enjoys working with diverse teams.
MULTIMEDIA PRODUCER / MANAGING DIRECTOR | Elephant Song Media
Documentary, News, Campaigns | February 2012 – Present
Founded Elephant Song, a multimedia production company tailored to meet creative storytelling needs on humanitarian and development issues. Works with communications teams to produce film, photography and motion-graphics for campaigning, donor engagement and community mobilization.
Over the past 6 years, has developed and produced engaging documentaries, public service announcements and campaign films across Africa, South Asia, the Middle East and Europe for organisations such as Médecins Sans Frontières, Save the Children and United Nations agencies on issues such as health, livelihoods, women’s rights, education, food, agriculture, environment, conflict and disaster response.
Directing/Producing: Identifies and produces character led stories with actuality footage, candid interviews and captivating motion graphics. Conducts research, analysis, develops scripts/shot-lists and operates cameras/audio equipment. Manages digital media and edits footage with industry standard postproduction software.
Production management: Organises budgets, travel, contributor relationships, risk assessments, fact checks, schedules, location scouting and consent forms.
Training: Runs practical workshops on film, photography, postproduction editing, impact evaluation, social media marketing, film distribution and storytelling for advocacy and fundraising.
Marketing: Develops strategies for distributing multimedia content through news agencies, social media and other relevant platforms. Manages web and video channel content, public screenings, electronic press kits and media/development sector networking events.
Examples of film production and multimedia assignments:
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) – Tackling adolescent sexual reproductive health issues through iAccelerator, UNFPA’s Innovation Accelerator Programme – Produced 13 films, a photo series and 3 multimedia news agency packages from Rwanda, Uganda and Tanzania.
- International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) – How can Ugandan farmers ease South Sudan hunger crisis? – Produced 4 films and a multimedia news agency package from Uganda and Kenya
- Our Lives on Hold – Produced this feature length documentary that challenges Europe’s increasingly cynical narrative on refugees and migration. It explores how host countries and refugees can work together for better integration and opportunity building. Locations: Turkey, Greece and Poland.
- UNFPA | stories of change – Produced 4 films illustrating how young people are using social media, youth friendly health services and the traditional sector to tackle HIV, teenage pregnancy, domestic violence and child marriage. Locations: South Africa, Swaziland, Malawi and Zimbabwe.
- Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) Scientific Day Films – Produced coverage of the events with integrated graphics from Twitter feeds and scientific analysis. Location: India
- South Asia’s Contemporary Art Scene | News – Delhi/Kerala, India. Produced a series of short films documenting India’s growth as a regional hub for showcasing socially and politically motivated contemporary art from across South Asia.
- United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) – Stories of change | Filmed stories with people striving to bring governance, gender equality and safety back in Somalia. Locations: Somalia and Kenya
CONSULTANCY ROSTER MEMBERSHIPS | Multimedia Producer:
United Nations Population Fund | Agenda for International Development | Charkowick Consulting, Ltd. |Center for International Forestry Research
VIDEO JOURNALIST | Thomson Reuters, Delhi | November 2012 – June 2013
Applied strong research skills with filming and editing expertise to produce news videos that shone a light on under reported stories across India – specialist subjects included health, education and human rights. Conducted insightful interviews on sensitive issues. Filmed strong observational footage with discretion. Recorded voice-overs. Fostered relationships with stringers, fixers and translators. Coordinated shoot logistics.
RESEARCHER/PRODUCTION ASSISTANT | BBC, UK June 2011 – February 2012
Conducted detailed background research into stories on issues such as homelessness, inequality and fraud. Assisted with under-cover filming in Egypt and the UK for investigations into crime and corruption. Identified potential characters and fostered relationships with contributors. Filmed and edited stories and interviews. Maintained equipment. Conducted photo and video archive research. Developed technical competence in all aspects of production through formal training. Productions:
Britain’s Hidden Homeless, BBC 3 (1×30’) | Watchdog, BBC 1 (8 x 60’) | Panorama, BBC 1 (1 x 30’) | Wonderland, BBC 2 (1x 60’) | The Manor Reborn, BBC 1 (4 x 60’) | Meet the Ancestors BBC 1(1 x 30’)
HOMELESS SUPPORT WORKER | January 2007 – May 2011
St Christopher’s Fellowship and St Mungo’s, London, UK
Developed strategic partnerships and multi-agency communication with stakeholders working on issues around homelessness such as housing, education, mental health and drug abuse. Led creative workshops, counselling sessions and life skills classes. Provided 24-hour support to homeless people across three London hostels.
Independent multimedia projects – reportage of under reported stories, building stronger social cohesion and increased prospects for people with limited opportunities. Examples:
- Nepal Earthquake: One Year Later | Wall Street Journal, Reuters, Asia News International
- Refugee crisis & community mobilisation – documentary | A-id – Rome, Italy
- Ebola mitigation – documentary | Elephant Song Media – Delhi, India
- Boat hospitals & island healthcare – documentary | C-NES – Assam, India
- Conflict & displacement – photo reportage | MA research – Bogota/Leticia, Colombia/ Iquitos, Peru
- Sectarian violence – photo reportage | Nairobi, Kenya
- Education for homeless children – photo reportage | Arusha, Tanzania
M.A. Development and Emergency Practice – Oxford Brookes University (2009/10)
Studied development issues such as human rights, refugees and migration and conflict resolution. Dissertation involved conducting narrative building workshops in Dharavi, Mumbai as a tool for assessing the impact of education, health and housing programmes for people living in extreme urban poverty.
Ba (Hons) Fine Art – Falmouth University – (2002/05)
Studied creative communications, film and design. Developed practical skills in use of art, film, photography and sound as mediums for expression and visual storytelling.
Hostile Environment and First Aid Training | BBC Production Health & Safety |BBC Journalism & Law | Advanced FCP Editing | BBC Self-shooting | United Nations Department of Safety and Security – Advanced Security In The Field & Basic Security In The Field II
PERSONAL KIT LIST
Cameras: Sony A7R2, DJI Mavic Pro Drone, GoPro Hero Black, Sony VG20 | Hardware: Multiple Lenses, Sennheiser radio mics, Zhiyun Crane 3-axis gimbal, Zoom H4n, Tripods, Lights | Software: Premiere, Photoshop, Lightroom, After Effects, Audition, Final Cut x, Illustrator, InDesign